15 Things To Do Before School Starts
It’s still summer.. well in most countries, and school is around the corner. I’m so sorry to bring that news upon you because I know just how stressful school can be. Just the thought of having to wake up super early makes me cringe. Anyways in celebration of it still being summer, I’ve comprised a list of 15 things you should do before school begins. Oops.. sorry I said school again.
A side note: I think these are pretty fun and interesting and by no means am I saying you should do them all. I’m just writing to give you some ideas of things you can do in your spare time.
- Listen to a new band, or music that you wouldn’t normally listen to on a daily basis. Change it up for even just a few minutes.. you never know what might strike up your interest. You can try and find different types of music in several place such as 8tracks, YouTube, Songza.. and many more.
- Go on a road trip! Road trips can be lots of fun especially if you get to experience it with your friends. Even without friends and family a road trip in a nice area by yourself can be very relaxing and fun. Make sure to pack snacks and get a road trip playlist ready just to set the tone.
- Walk to nowhere. What I mean by that is just go for a walk and see where your legs take you. You would be surprised at how long and far you can walk to. Walking outdoors is peaceful and if you’re in the city you get to explore and see a lot of places you never noticed.
- Eat Ice Cream. Ice cream to me always reminds of summer. There is nothing better than eating ice cream in the sun or indoors on a rainy day. My favourite place to get ice cream is anywhere where I can customize it myself by putting some extra sprinkles or fruit pieces.. mmmm so good.
- Make a new friend. This might be a bit tricky because friends normally hang together in the summer so it might be a little awkward at first walking up to a group of people and starting a conversation. But, maybe you could grab a friend and go to a park or the beach and start chatting with some people. Or become closer friends with someone you already know! The easiest way to make a friend in my opinion, always starts with a smile!
- Be bold. If you’re a girl you can buy a bold lipstick, it can be bright pink or dark purple, something that stands out. Or get a different style haircut maybe even add in a few highlights. If you’re a boy you can try out a different cologne/scent. Or rock a cool pair of shorts or shoes!
- Watch a thriller movie. Grab a bowl of popcorn and get comfortable! I used to be so scared of scary films but they are actually pretty interesting to watch. I remember at the start I would always watch them with friends just so I don’t scare myself. You can also watch during the day when there’s still light out if you get scared easily.
- Dance in the rain. When it’s raining outside make sure to go out and just absorb the feeling of rain touching your skin. And just not having to worry about rushing back into your house. Rain is so beautiful but most of the time we don’t get to enjoy it because we’re always going somewhere or we don’t want to mess our hair etc. But just take one day and walk out into a rain without an umbrella. Make sure to dry yourself after and change your clothes so you don’t get sick!
- Be one with the kitchen. Look for an old family recipe or look one up (check out our food section here) and have fun. Be the chef of the house! If whatever you’re cooking/baking doesn’t work out, don’t fret, just try again!
- Read a novel, start a book club. Go to your bookshelf or your parents/sisters/brothers room and get a book for yourself. I always like reading different genres from time to time. You can read in the morning while eating your breakfast or at night just before you rest your eyes. Reading opens up your mind and vocabulary. To me when I read, I feel like I enter into a whole different universe.
- Google. Alright so this might be odd but fun. Go to Google or your library and search for a country or art piece or a renowned person in history and expand your knowledge a little. It’s nice to open your eyes and culturally diversify yourself. Nowadays everyone gets sucked up into social media and TV that sometimes we forget about everything else (I’m guilty).
- Get your blood flowing. Try and exercise in your room by doing at home pilates, yoga, or just an ab workout or some squats. You can find so many videos on YouTube or even Google on how to do any of those. Or go the local gym with your friends! I’m not saying everyday.. but if you start maybe you might get into the routine and feel healthier.
- Go to a cafe. There is nothing nicer than enjoying a latte, coffee or tea with some cake or cookie at a cafe. It’s the perfect environment to just enjoy yourself!
- Get artsy. Try doing some arts and crafts or DIY’s (you can find some here). Surprise yourself with what you can accomplish artistically.
- Have a dance party! This is so much fun. Alright so you can invite over some friends and have a dance party in your room or if you invite a lot more have a dance party in your whole house. You and a bunch of friends can also go to the park or beach and bring a portable speaker and plug in your music and just chill around and boogie. Or you can have a dance party by yourself (I do this a lot haha) in your room. You can either listen to your music really loud through speakers or wearing headphones and just dance like nobody is watching! Let loose and if you feel like you’re making a fool of yourself.. really.. who cares! You’re having fun!